Cupid is upon us and in just a few short days we will be celebrating the day of love! The holidays are always an exciting time but can sometimes be a sad time for those in senior care facilities. Holidays are about time with family and friends and not being in their home can be disappointing for senior citizens. We want to give you several ideas for brightening spirits around Valentine’s Day so below are a list of gift ideas for the senior in your life.
- Cards from loved ones – Have everyone you can make nice handmade cards! Grandchildren especially!
- Crafts – handprint crafts from grandkids, homemade t-shirts, picture collages, or jewelry!
- Handwritten letter – take the time to handwrite a nice letter and drop it in the mail or hand deliver!
- Subscription – If you know your loved one loves a certain magazine, newspaper or hobby, buy them a subscription! There are several companies that offer subscription based monthly boxes with everything from recipes, beauty supplies, pet supplies and more!
- Books – If you know they love to read, books always come in handy! Grab Grandma the latest Clive Cussler novel the next time you’re out at Barnes and Noble! Reading is great for keeping the mind and eyes active and passing the time!
- Flowers – Who doesn’t love flowers on Valentine’s? You can set up a flower delivery with your local florist or an online service even if you don’t live close to your loved one.
- Food – Candies, Chocolate, favorite lunch spot takeout, you name it, the choices are endless here! Just make sure it fits any doctor prescribed dietary guidelines!
- Dinner Date – Join them for dinner one evening at their assisted living facility or take them out! This is a great way to spend some quality time together and enjoy a nice meal
We just scraped the surface as far as gift ideas, but our best tip is to make it personal! Think about what your loved one likes and make a gift around that! We hope this helps make your Valentine’s Day shopping easier!